Wednesday 19 June 2013

National Archives,Tijuca Rainforest and a dog named Steve

I finally made it to the Tijuca rainforest! First I had to to take a bus into Rio Centro, and then back out of Rio in the Barra direction - so whilst I was in the city centre I stopped off here:


The official name is "Arquivo Nacional e a História Luso-brasileira", and they have an entire exhibition at the moment dedicated to the colonial history of Brazil - which was really interesting, especially the role of blacks in establishing a new society separate from that of the colonial masters - the white portuguese.

Then it was on to the Tijuca Rainforest:

 
Waterfalls! And flowers I do not know the names of:


I also have no idea what kind of animal these little guys are - but they are everywhere!


 
After spending some time in the rainfores it was back to the surfschool for the second day of English classes - and halfway through a dog wandered in. No one seems to have a clue where it came from, but apparently it just lives in the surf shack and wanders in and out in the evenings! Me and my friend who is from Northumbria - i.e. I can understand the Brazilians better than I can decifer his accent - decided we'd call it Steve. I'll try and get a picture of Steve tonight!
 
Tomorrow (Wednesday) we're all going surfing - so I'll let you know how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment